Why use a doula with your midwife?
Doulas and midwifes work together in a colaborative manner to help support you through your birth. While your midwife, birth assistant and nurse work to make sure you and your baby are healthy during your pregnancy and birth, your doula works to help support you physically, mentally, and emotionally. Often times doulas are the ones who will join you earlier in your birthing time (labor) and help you through your birthing waves (contractions). As you are in contact with your midwife, your doula can also speak with them and let them know how things are going from an experienced birth professional. Many times, as a doula I have been able to let the midwife know when it is the best time for them to come join the birthing family. During the time your doula is with you we work through position changes, breathing techniques and work to help baby get into a better position if needed to support your birth progress. Doulas and midwives work together to give you a full spectrum of support for your birth.
What will Tracy do as your doula do during your pregnancy?
During your pregnancy, I will help you be prepared for your birth through the following:
- We start with helping you have all the tools to help your baby have the space they need to get into the best position possible. You will be gifted the Guided Spinning Babies Class. This class gives you easy quick techniques you can do daily to help your baby have a better chance of being in the optimal position for birth.
- You also get an authentic rebozo to practice the techniques you are taught in the class.
- Planning for your out-of-hospital birth can be at times easier as most families who plan to birth out of the hospital desire low to no interventions. At the same time, it is best to prepare for the possibility of a hospital transfer. To help you be prepared, you are gifted a year long subscription to [M]otherboard Birth Preferences. This tool walks you through all your options for your birth. If you are unsure of what the options are, the tool gives you complete evidence based balanced information about all your choices. In the end, you are able to have a beautiful printed visual birth plan.
- We will meet twice to prepare for your birth. The first meeting will be after you watch the Spinning Babies videos. During this time we will discuss the techniques, make sure you are doing them correctly, answer any questions you may have, and make sure you understand how best to keep track of baby's position at home! We also will have time to get to know each other better so no matter how long you have until your birthing day, we will have started our personal relationship from the beginning.
- The second meeting will be done virtually using Google Meet or Zoom. We go through your entire birth preferences, and make sure you have had a chance to let me know everything you would like to share as your birth time comes closer.
- I will be on call for you starting at signing of contract until baby comes! I work closely with my back-ups as well so we make sure you are supported at your birth no matter when it comes.
- Any time during your pregnancy you need to contact me- Please do! I am available for you via text, phone, or email. I love updates after each visit with your midwife as well so we are in contact throughout the rest of your pregnancy.
What will Tracy do as your doula during your birth?
- When you are in your early birthing time, let me know! Let's start contact even if you don't need me yet, so I can help you through this time. I will give you ideas of things to do to get rest, to help you stay hydrated and if it seems like baby needs a little extra help getting into the best position, I will let you know which of the techniques you learned prenatally would be best to use at that time.
- I will come join you at your home, or your birth location so you can have support when you need it, even if it's a little early for your midwife to join you.
- I will help you stay in contact with your midwife so the rest of your birth team can get to your birth (or you get to your birth center) at the best time.
- During your birth I am with you as we work through position changes, breathing techniques and work to help baby get into a better position if needed to support your birth progress.
Out-of-hospital birth package:
If you are planning an out-of-hospital birth, you get a discount on my usual doula package. I understand that planning for an out-of-hospital birth can bring additional expenses.